Smith, Gregory Esq.
Gregory Smith graduated from Yale with a B.A. in History in 1973.
He began his career in the law before he began law school. In the fall of 1973 he began a year's work as a paralegal for James St. Clair and the Staff of the Special Counsel defending President Richard Nixon during the Watergate hearings and in the United States Court of Appeals.
In law school Mr. Smith worked on the appeal of a black doctor following a conviction in state court for manslaughter for the death of a fetus after a legal abortion.
Mr. Smith was admitted to the bar in Connecticut and Massachusetts in 1977.
From 1981 until 2011 he taught History in public and private secondary schools in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York. In his last position he supervised twenty teachers and twelve hundred students in two schools as district supervisor in the Peekskill (NY) City Schools.
Attorney Smith opened his law practice in Ridgefield in 2011. For the community he serves on the board of the Ridgefield Housing Authority and of Ridgefield A Better Chance, a national non-profit that brings academically-motivated minority girls to study at Ridgefield High School.
In 2012 the Connecticut Bar Association presented Mr. Smith with an annual Pro Bono Award for his work on behalf of indigent students facing expulsion.
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1977
- Yale University
- B.A. - 1973
- Major: History
- Columbia University Teachers College
- M.A. - 1983
- Lewis Mills High School
Classes & Seminars
- Lenox Memorial High School, 1991 to 2006
- Board, Ridgefield Housing Authority
- Board, Ridgefield A Better Chance
- James St. Clair, Clerk
- Staff of the Special Counsel defending President Richard Nixon, Paralegal
- United States Court of Appeals, Paralegal
- Peekskill (NY) City Schools, District Supervisor
- Watergate hearings, President
- “Lessons of Liability in Connecticut Classrooms,” Connecticut Law Tribune, September 15, 2014
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- Danbury Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Sexual Harassment
- Criminal Defense
- Connecticut, 1977
- Massachusetts, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- Annual Pro Bono Award, Connecticut Bar Association, 2011-Present